Friday, October 26, 2007

The people you know.

One of the many great things I've experienced since I've moved is the people I've met. While most of them have been interesting, I think Tony is worth blogging about.

In my Comm 212 on Fridays, there are about 60 people, and English is the first language of about 10 of us. It makes things interesting. But most of the people aren't French. They are Asian, Polish, Russian - all sorts of randomness I've never really experienced.

So the first day of class, we had to get into groups. I just got into a group with the people around me, one of which was "Tony". He is Chinese, about 35, and moved to Canada in 2001. His real name is Xiaodong Chen. He told me he changed his name because people couldn't pronounce his real name. Not that this bothered him, but he didn't want people to be embarrassed that they couldn't say his name.

Throughout the next few weeks I learned that Tony has a 14-year-old daughter that lives with him. His wife still lives in China. I assumed that he came here to work and get money to send back home and eventually planned to either move back or bring his wife here.

Today I found out more about our buddy Tony. He doesn't work. I say "Hey Tony, why don't you work?"

He says "Because I don't have to." You see, when Tony was my age, 24, he had 2 Bachelor's degrees and was going to school for his Master's. He also began to open up a chain of car dealerships. After getting his Master's and expanding into other businesses, he decided to go to England and get another graduate-level degree.

Now, he is independently wealthy, owns about 15 businesses, and only goes to school for something to do. He takes one or two classes a semester. When he told me this, he wasn't bragging or cocky AT ALL. It was almost like he was apologetic for not having told me before. The reason he is in Canada with his daughter and not his wife is his wife is in China looking after her sick parents. They both wanted their daughter to study different languages and get the best education so the two of them packed up and came to Canada. Tony's daughter goes to a private school in the ritzy part of Montreal and is fluent in Chinese, English, and French.

It's amazing, isn't it? I know this is a stupid "don't judge a book" story, but it really is wonderful to have all your preconceptions (I wouldn't call them prejudices) about someone totally smashed.

This is one of his business cards he gave me. I know it's blurry but it doesn't matter because I don't think anybody that can read Chinese will also be reading this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You exposure to other cultures in a college setting has been limited because South Suburban College is really just a place to meet your next baby daddy and plan your subsequent appearance(s) on Maury.

Bebo said...

Haha

Mickey Nolan said...

Dude has 'Dong' in his name and he chose Tony? If I were you I'd just start calling him Dong. Limitless possibilities:

Rich Dong.
Dong'n'Daughter (ouch)
My buddy Dong
Student Dong
The Donger

Glad you're having a good time.

Anonymous said...

Well said.