Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving.

So here we are. Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. Although it wasn't very traditional here in Montreal (we didn't roast a turkey and Kat had to work) it still felt how I wanted it to. Kathryn and I had a great time together and I got to talk to my family on the phone. I cooked a grand feast and it was just what I wanted.

Some highlights:

The French on the Tofurkey.

It was a festin fit for a roi.

The snowy backdrop to a late-autumn holiday.

Oh and still no wolf blanket! (I know it's getting old now. I'll stop soon.)

The dinner spread I spent all day in front of a hot stove making.

The spread basically looked the same after we ate because, as Kathryn told me many times, "There's only two of us!" And it turns out that she's right. I counted myself twice because I was by a mirror and I got confused.

It's tradition in my household that on Thanksgiving we go around the table and say what we are thankful for. Far be it for me to let 850 miles and the Boarder Patrol get in the way of tradition, so here goes.

I'm thankful for...

The greatest girlfriend in the whole world that is also my best friend and my biggest fan. She laughs at all my dumb jokes even when they aren't funny and she understands me better than I do myself. I barely deserve her, but don't tell her that! I LOVE YOU BABY!

My mother has a heart the size of most African nations' GDPs and she taught me how to love and laugh and how to treat people and I'll always be her little baby.

I have a sister that is the strongest, most beautiful person a boy could have as a big sister and she has blessed us all with the cutest baby in the whole world.

My mentor and role model and inspiration and best friend in the whole world is my brother. One day I'll step out of his gigantic shadow and make him as proud of me as I am of him.

I have a father that works like a dog at a job he hates to give my brother, sister, and me a fighting chance in this world. He is my hero and I love him.

There are many other things that I am thankful for, but those are the most important to me right now. After a month of B.S. posts, you had to know a mushy one was coming soon enough, right?

4 comments:

Mickey Nolan said...

I bet they brought the Wolf Blanket in to use as the table cloth for the their Thanksgiving. I know they wouldn't have one then, but maybe they are Americans too? Something that tacky could only be American. So I imagine that they have a spread laid out, and as they eat the food and clear the plates away, bam... wolf blanket. At that point shit is completely off the chain and people are wildin' out. Thanksgiving jam session.

It was a good time and your family is very hospitable. Joe Flam laid on your bed and watched Football. Then he went shopping for a sleeping bag so he could sleep out in the Best Buy parking lot to get a $200 laptop, the holy grail of all Thanksgiving doorbusters. The word may never know if he got one.

Anonymous said...

Jesus H Christ...Thats gonna make me cry! I love American Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Im so proud of your Thanksgiving. Wonderful job. I determined this by the beautifulness of the cheezy potatoes. You learned well.

Bebo said...

I'm glad that you had a good time with the fam Mickey. I talked to Flamm and he didn't get the laptop. S'all good though.

And thank you Johnsy and luvs cheezy potatoes :)